20-member family homeless after fire gutted their home

20 Sep 2016 19:00pm
ONANGAMA, 20 SEP (NAMPA) – A 20-member family at the Onangama village in the Ohangwena Region’s Ongenga Constituency are currently sleeping in the open after a fire gutted their 14-hut homestead on Thursday.
The destruction was caused when flames from a fire to burn household waste outside the homestead fence, jumped the fence due to strong winds.
Head of the family, Jelonimo Ngoloimue, 79, and his wife Elizabeth, 75, told Nampa in an interview at their homestead on Tuesday the fire spread fast.
Neighbours rushed to the scene to help extinguish the fire but it was too late.
The family’s clothes, including children’s school uniforms, bedding, personal documents and food were destroyed.
“The fire burned down all our food containers, including our two silos full of mahangu, and we are now relying on food hand-outs by our neighbours,” Ngoloimue explained, adding that the office of the councillor of their constituency assisted them with 25 kilogrammes of maize.
“We will only be able to recover from this damage and rebuild our homestead if people of goodwill or donors come to our rescue,” he said.
(NAMPA)
NN/ND/LI