Investigations into alleged killer cop's case not yet complete

01 Oct 2013 05:00
WINDHOEK, 01 OCT (NAMPA) - Investigations into the case of a 25-year-old police officer who was arrested for allegedly shooting and killing a young man in the Shandumbala residential area in Katutura during August this year, have not yet been completed.
Constable Linus Nzwana made another appearance before Windhoek Magistrate George Mbundu along Mungunda Street in Katutura on Tuesday morning, where his alleged murder case was remanded until 26 November this year in order to allow the police to complete their investigations.
This was after agreement between the accused's defence lawyer Louis le Grange and the prosecution's representative, Public Prosecutor Alexander Wilson in court.
Nzwana is free on bail of N.dollars 5 000, which was granted by Magistrate Mbundu at the end of his formal bail application in the same court on 04 September this year.
Mbundu had coupled that bail with some strict conditions in that the accused should report himself at the Katutura Police Station twice per day - between 08h00 and 09h00, and between 17h00 and 18h00.
He was also ordered not to make contact with the people lined-up as State witnesses in the matter, nor to interfere with the police investigations in any way.
He was further ordered not to leave the district of Windhoek without obtaining permission from the investigating officer.
“I will not abscond from Namibia to other neighbouring countries in efforts to avoid prosecution because I have no relatives or friends residing outside Namibia.
“All my family members, relatives and friends live here in Namibia and, therefore, I will never run away once the court grants me bail. I also want to assure this court that I will never interfere in any way - direct or indirect - with the police investigations once the court grants bail,” Nzwana told Magistrate Mbundu in his evidence-in-chief at the bail hearing last month.
The prosecution, led by Public Prosecutor Wilson, unsuccessfully opposed the granting of bail on the grounds that the accused is facing a serious charge of murder, which will warrant heavy punishment in case of conviction.
In his testimony before court on 04 September this year, Nzwana maintained that he shot and killed the 22-year-old Joel Martin on 10 August this year while acting in self-defence as he was allegedly under threat because Martin was about to hit him with a beer bottle.
Windhoek-based defence lawyer Le Grange also represented the arrested police officer at the bail hearing.
Namibian Police Force (NamPol) spokesperson, Chief Inspector Kauna Shikwambi had earlier said during a crime briefing in August this year that the arrested policeman was off-duty at the time, and handed himself over at the Katutura police station after killing Martin at about 13h50 on that Saturday.
Shikwambi said an argument erupted when the suspect, who was driving his private vehicle, requested the deceased to refrain from walking in the road as it is dangerous.
Martin allegedly attempted to hit the police officer with a beer bottle, and in self-defence, Nzwana drew his private pistol and shot the deceased in the chest.
The victim died on the spot.
(NAMPA)
SKE/AS/TK