Man in Finnish killing case in High Court

15 Sep 2016 15:50pm
WINDHOEK, 15 SEP (NAMPA) – A Windhoek resident who allegedly shot and killed a Finnish national at a sports bar during a road rage incident last year, made his first appearance in the High Court on Thursday.
Danne Rodney Shaningwa, 43, appeared before High Court Judge Christie Liebenberg when his alleged murder case was postponed until 20 October 2016 to allow him to properly consult his privately instructed defence lawyer, Orben Sibeya in preparation of the defence case.
The State’s representative, Deputy Prosecutor-General Antonia Verhoef has also provided the defence lawyer with all the needed documentation that include a charge sheet, a police photo plan, State disclosure and a list of State witnesses to give evidence during trial on behalf of prosecution.
On 29 August 2016, Shaningwa's alleged murder case was transferred to the High Court as per a decision taken by the Office of the Prosecutor-General (PG).
Shaningwa faces three charges namely murder, failure to report an accident within 24-hours after the occurrence of the accident, and defeating the course of the administration of justice for hiding his sedan vehicle allegedly involved in the accident.
Shaningwa, who has since arrest in August 2015 been in police custody at the Hosea Kutako International Airport police holding cells, will now be kept at the Windhoek Central Correctional Facility until finalisation of the trial as per agreement reached between his lawyer and the prosecution representative in court on Thursday.
He remains in police custody with no option to post bail, as he was already refused bail at the end of his formal bail application in the Windhoek Magistrate's Court in August 2015.
Shaningwa was arrested by members of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol)' Serious Crime Unit at his family home in Windhoek North on 11 August 2015 after being on the run for almost two days.
Shaningwa allegedly fired nine rounds from his pistol, killing Ronni Marco Kristian Uolevi, 42, at around 00h30 on 09 August 2015.
Uolevi allegedly drove into the back of Shaningwa’s car in front of Joker’s Pizzeria and Sports Bar in Bell Street.
After the shooting, Shaningwa allegedly got back into his car and drove off.
The pistol allegedly used during the incident was recovered by investigating officers at the time of arrest.
The story about the shooting incident made headlines in Finland, Uolevi’s home country.