30 Sep 2013 10:50
WALVIS BAY, 30 SEP (NAMPA) A man accused of murdering his eight-year-old son made his first appearance in the Walvis Bay Magistrates Court on Monday.
Thomas David, 46, appeared before Magistrate Vicky Nicoladis on a charge of murder read with provisions of the Domestic Violence Act.
According to the Namibian Police Force (NamPol)s acting Crime Investigations Coordinator for the Erongo Region, Detective Inspector Erastus Iikuyu, David had a firearm with him during a party at his house in the Kuisebmund residential area, and apparently took the firearm to his bedroom where the boy had been sleeping.
Iikuyu said it is not yet clear what happened, but the police suspect that while the man was cleaning his firearm or removing the bullets, a shot went off and hit the boy in the chest.
The suspect was allegedly not in a sober state when the incident happened.
During his court appearance, David pleaded not guilty to the charge, and indicated that he will appoint a lawyer of his choice.
The accused explained that the unfortunate incident occurred when he was about to lock his pistol in a safe.
When I was on my way to put away the pistol in the safe, it went off and a bullet struck the boy in his chest while he was asleep, David told the court.
The State opposed bail.
Public Prosecutor Ivann Tjizu explained that it is a serious offence, and investigations regarding the matter still need to be carried, such as obtaining statements from everyone who were present during the incident.
Tjizu added that there is a fear that the accused might interfere with the investigations.
Nicoladis thus postponed the matter to 05 November 2013 for further investigations.
David remains in police custody.