Ovaherero fence off Okahandja plot

28 Aug 2016 14:00pm
OKAHANDJA, 28 AUG (NAMPA) – Ovaherero Traditional Authority (OTA) members have started erecting a fence around the disputed Kommando in Okahandja.
OTA Chief Vekuii Rukoro ordered the erection of the fence, which he said will be followed by unspecified structures as per requirement by the Okahandja Municipality.
OTA Councillor in the Aminuis Constituency of the Omaheke Region, Edward Uandara informed Nampa on Saturday that the developments are aimed at protecting their land against any unwanted invaders.
“This land is ours, and as owners you must always protect and guard what belongs to you. This is just to prove that it is our land,” he said.
Uandara noted that they want to avoid conflict.
“The agreement (sale) says we have to build structures worth N.dollars 1.2 million, and that is what we are going to do,” he said.
Uandara added that they started erecting the fence on Friday and would proceed until Sunday.
This comes amidst mounting tension over the rightful ownership of Erf 1755, which the OTA is currently fencing off.
The OTA said it bought the land in December 2014 from the Okahandja Municipality, but Minister of Urban and Rural Development Sophia Shaningwa on Friday said the municipality is still the rightful owner of the land.
The OTA and Maharero Royal House Traditional Authority have both used the plot in the past for annual commemorations of Red Flag Day, when tribute is paid to fallen heroes and heroines of both factions.
Rukoro told this agency on Friday they have acquired all documentation, including the deed of sale, to prove their ownership.
He threatened further legal action against Shaningwa should she attempt to interfere with the approval of the said land sale, which she is yet to be approve as line minister.
The OTA on Wednesday lodged an urgent court application after they discovered that Shaningwa granted permission to the Maharero Royal House Traditional Authority to proceed with their annual commemorations of the Red Flag Day on the same plot on 26 August 2016.
Attorney-General (AG) Sakeus Shangala late Thursday announced that such permission had been withdrawn, adding that no commemorations will be held by either the OTA or Maharero Royal House this year.
However, Rukoro said they will hold a commemoration event in October this year at Ozombu Zovindimba in the Otjozondjupa Region.
(NAMPA)
KK/ND/AS