Attempted murder, rape reported at Otjiwarongo

29 Sep 2013 09:20
WINDHOEK, 29 SEP (NAMPA) - The Otjiwarongo Police are investigating a case of attempted murder after the 31-year-old Lyman Strauss was assaulted on Saturday at that town’s Orwetoveni residential area.
The Head of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol)’s public relations division, Deputy Commissioner Edwin Kanguatjivi said during the weekly crime briefing here on Sunday Strauss was allegedly beaten with a panga by his attacker in an incident which occurred at around 15h00.
He is in a critical condition after he sustained injuries all over his body, and has been admitted to the Katutura State Hospital in Windhoek.
A 30-year-old suspect has been arrested in connection with the matter and will appear in the Otjiwarongo Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
In a separate incident, a 19-year old man was raped on Friday morning at around 03h00 at a house near Otjiwarongo’s Swanevelder Hall. It is alleged that the suspect, a 17-year-old male, forced the victim to a certain house in Orwetoveni, where he assaulted him and allegedly had sexual intercourse with him without his consent.
The suspect has not yet been yet arrested and investigations continue.
Also in Otjiwarongo, the police are investigating a case of culpable homicide after the 41-year-old Petrus Lambert died in a car accident on Friday. The accident occurred on the road to Kalkfeld at around 22h40.
It is alleged that the driver of the white Volkswagen Polo which he had been travelling in hit a kudu, causing Lambert to die instantly while the driver fled the scene.
Lambert’s next of kin have been informed, and police investigations continue.
At Outjo, the police are also investigating a case of culpable homicide after Robert Adam Horaseb lost control over the vehicle he was driving, causing it to hit a tree and overturn.
The accident occurred on Saturday at around 22h40 near a service station in the town. Horaseb, 23, sustained serious injuries and was admitted to the Outjo State Hospital but was later transferred to the Katutura State Hospital.
He was declared dead upon arrival at the hospital. His next of kin were informed.