Aranos farmer's murder case postponed to 2017
04 Aug 2016 14:00pm
WINDHOEK, 04 AUG (NAMPA) - The trial of Aranos farmer Willem Visagie Barnard, who stands accused of shooting and killing his wife with a revolver at their farm in the Hardap Region five years ago, has been postponed until early June 2017.
The 60-year-old farmer made another appearance in the Windhoek High Court before Judge Naomi Shivute here on Thursday morning, when he was informed that the continuation of his murder trial will resume on 05 June 2017.
Continuation of the trial is set to run until 09 June 2017 and Thursdays postponement was effected as per agreement reached between Barnard's privately instructed defence lawyer Advocate Louis Botes and prosecution representative, State Advocate Ethel Ndlovu to allow the two parties to sort out some outstanding matters.
Barnard is facing a charge of murder and his case is being dealt with by the court as per the provisions of the Combating of Domestic Violence Act, (Act No. 4) of 2003, which calls for a long custodial term for the accused if he is found guilty at the end of trial.
According to the summary of substantial facts contained in the charge sheet, Barnard is said to have been under the influence of alcohol when he allegedly gunned down his wife, Anette Barnard, in the living room of their house at Farm Chorus on the night of 10 April 2010.
Anette died instantly from a single gunshot to the head.
According to the Police, the couple had been drinking that night.
Upon arrest, the accused person allegedly told the police that he was tired of his wife's continuous comments over the murder of right-wing leader Eugene Terre'blanche in South Africa.
After the shooting, accused Barnard allegedly called his son-in-law and told him that he had just killed his wife.