Rehoboth Rural Constituency faces acute sanitation crisis

22 Jul 2016 14:30pm
MARIENTAL, 22 JUL (NAMPA) - Approximately 35 per cent of households in the Hardap Region do not have sanitation facilities, while a staggering 50 per cent inhabitants of the Rehoboth Rural Constituency do not have access to sanitation facilities.
The situation is worse in Schlip, a settlement in the Rehoboth Rural Constituency, where an estimated 1 500 people reside and only 1 per cent of the population has access to sanitation facilities. The remaining 99 per cent mainly resort to open defecation.
Delivering her State of the Region Address on Wednesday, Hardap Governor Esme Isaack said Government has placed special focus on the need to do away with the bucket system in Namibia, noting that at this day and age, no Namibian citizen should be subjected to the indignity of having to resort to the demeaning bucket system.
According to Isaack, a recent regional report on the existence of the bucket system noted that approximately 5 000 inhabitants of the region are exposed to the bucket system.
Isaack said the Desert Research Foundation (DRFN) implemented a pro-poor approach to address sanitation and hygiene challenges in Schlip settlement by improving the health and wellbeing of the population of Schlip through access to safe and dignified sanitation and improved hygiene practices.
The DRFN, in collaboration with the Hardap Regional Council, Ministry of Agriculture Water and Forestry and the Ministry of Health and Social Services coordinated the implementation of the project.
Isaack said the project was funded by the Civil Society Foundation of Namibia, with support from the European Union.
The Desert Research Foundation (DRFN) also established six community Health Clubs as a platform to engage with each other on the topics of health, hygiene and well-being of the community.
Twenty Three (23) Health and Hygiene promoters were trained to champion health and hygiene activities beyond the Project Lifespan. Eleven Otji-toilets were constructed with involvement of the Schlip community. The Oti-toilet is a dry sanitation system developed in Namibia for Namibian conditions.
(NAMPA)
RG/CT/LI