Aranos farmer to go on trial next year for wife murder

26 Sep 2013 05:20
WINDHOEK, 26 SEP (NAMPA) - Aranos farmer Willem Visagie Barnard, who stands accused of shooting and killing his wife with a revolver at his farm in the Hardap Region three years ago, will go on trial in the High Court here in October 2014.
The 58-year-old farmer made another appearance in the High Court before Judge Naomi Shivute here on Thursday where he was informed that his murder trial will begin on 21 October next year.
This trial is set to run until 07 November 2014, and the prosecuting authority has lined up about 13 witnesses who will come and testify on behalf of the State.
Barnard will face a charge of murder, and his case will be dealt with as per the provisions of the Combating of Domestic Violence Act, Act No. 4 of 2003, which calls for a long custodial term for the accused person if he is found guilty by the court at the end of the trial.
According to the summary of substantial facts contained in the charge sheet, accused Barnard was said to have been under the influence of alcohol when he allegedly gunned down his wife, Anette Barnard, in the sitting room at Farm Chorus on the night of 10 April 2010.
It was reported that the deceased person died instantly from a single gunshot to the head.
According to the Police, the couple had been drinking that night.
Upon arrest, the accused person told the police that he was apparently tired of his deceased wife's continuous comments over the murder of right-wing leader Eugene Terre'blanche in South Africa.
After the shooting, accused Barnard allegedly called his son-in-law and told him that he had just killed his wife.
Prominent Windhoek-based defence lawyer, Advocate Louis Botes (SC) is defending accused Barnard.
State Advocate Ethel Ndlovu is appearing for the prosecution.
(NAMPA)
SKE/JK