Grootfontein woman arrested for allegedly kidnapping baby

25 Sep 2013 09:50
OTJIWARONGO, 25 SEP (NAMPA) – A 21-year-old woman was apprehended on Wednesday morning after a missing baby girl was found at her residence in Grootfontein in the Otjozondjupa Region.
The Namibian Police Force (NamPol)’s Otjozondjupa Regional Crime Investigations Co-ordinator, Deputy Commissioner Moses Khairabeb told Nampa on Wednesday the accused now faces two charges of kidnapping and attempted murder.
He said the parents of the one-month-old baby reported the matter to the Grootfontein Police Station on Tuesday.
“We are informed that after the parents of the baby arrived in Grootfontein on Monday evening from the farm they work at, they were accommodated by a relative of the baby’s mother in Blikkiesdorp,” said Khairabeb.
That night the couple allegedly went to a local shebeen, taking their baby with them, and there they were said to have spent the evening with a relative who was later suspected of taking the baby.
The couple still had their baby with them when they went to bed on Monday night.
“When they woke up on Tuesday morning the baby was missing, and they opened a case at the Grootfontein Police Station,” Khairabeb explained.
The police started searching for the baby, and on Tuesday afternoon, she was found at the home of the 21-year-old relative the couple had spent the evening with.
The suspect’s residence is situated far from the Blikkiesdorp residential area where the baby was allegedly stolen from.
It is still not known how the suspect entered the house where the baby’s parents were sleeping.
When the baby was found on Tuesday, she had a fresh wound on her belly button thought to have been made by the suspect.
The police took the baby to the Grootfontein State Hospital for medical attention.
A medical report issued by the hospital to the police Wednesday morning confirmed that the baby is one month old and is not the suspect’s daughter as she had claimed.
The police apprehended her on Wednesday, charging her with kidnapping and attempted murder.
“The baby is still admitted at the Grootfontein State Hospital and is in a stable condition,” Khairabeb said.
Police investigations into the matter continue.