Namibian-born ‘struggle kids’ excluded from training

13 Jul 2016 16:00pm
OKANDJENGEDI, 13 JUL (NAMPA) – About 20 ‘struggle kids’ who were camping at the Okandjengedi Swapo office waiting on Government jobs, claim they were excluded from training opportunities because they were born in Namibia.
Some 60 others who were born in exile but were not camping there, were also left behind when about 150 struggle kids boarded buses to Berg Aukas near Grootfontein and Farm Du Plessis in the Omaheke Region on Tuesday to commence six-month training courses there at the expense of Government.
Speaking to this agency on behalf of the “Namibian” group on Tuesday, Maria Shilongo said they were again disappointed by Government for excluding them from such training programmes.
“We were shocked when before we could board the buses, another group member informed us that we would not be going with the rest of the group and that the governor (Oshana) would deal with us separately,” she said.
The division among the struggle kids came to the fore early June this year when the majority of them evicted about 20 members from the group who were born in Namibia, on the premise that they hinder progress.
Shilongo said this segregation brought about confusion among them.
“It led to a few changes among the group members to an extent that we were not included in group meetings and decisions anymore,” she said.
Shilongo suspected it might be the reason they were not offered training.
“We tried to enquire from the (Oshana) governor before he left on Tuesday after the other group boarded the buses, but he refused to speak to us and told us he had no answers,” she added.
Oshana governor Clemens Kashuupulwa informed the group about the training opportunities on Saturday on instruction by Prime Minister Saara Kuugongelwa-Amadhila.
Office of the Prime Minister Public Relations Officer Saima Shaanika told Nampa on enquiry Wednesday the names of struggle kids who left for Berg Aukas and Farm Du Plessis were on a list provided by the Ministry of Sport, Youth and National Service, and everyone whose name is on the list, boarded the buses.
“The issue will however be directed to the technical committee chaired by Secretary to Cabinet George Simataa, and this issue will be dealt with,” she said.
The committee was set up by Kuugongelwa-Amadhila last week to deal with the struggle kids' issues and is headed by Simataa.
Meanwhile, some children of the liberation struggle have turned down training opportunities and demand jobs from Government.
Tuhafeni Nhinda told Nampa Monday the group at the Ndilimani farm north of Windhoek reject training.
“We did not ask Government to give us basic education training with a monthly allowance of less than N.dollars 500; we requested jobs and whatever they have for us should be offered to us at our current locations,” he stated.
(NAMPA)
IB/ND/CT