Mass houses to be handed over in Mariental and Keetmans

08 Jun 2016 14:30pm
KEETMANSHOOP, 08 JUN (NAMPA) – The Minister of Urban and Rural Development Sophia Shaningwa will later this month hand over 128 houses built under the national Mass Housing programme at Keetmanshoop and Mariental.
Sixty-eight houses are ready for occupation at Mariental whereas Keetmanshoop has 60 ready for occupation.
Both towns are busy finalising the water and electricity connections to the houses as well as the list of recipients, which will be sent to the minister for approval before recipients are informed.
“The ministry gave us a deadline of 25 June for the handover of the houses, so by then, people should be moving into their homes,” Mariental Municipality Chief Executive Officer Paul Nghiwilepo told Nampa on Tuesday.
He said his office was inundated with visitors trying to determine whether they are on the list.
“I understand their frustrations, but unfortunately not everyone can get a house now. We have a list of over 1 000 people who applied through the municipality and the National Housing Enterprise (NHE), but we can only give 68 now.”
Forty houses in Mariental were during the festive season of December 2014 handed over before the programme was suspended nationwide.
Nghiwilepo said two people who lost their allocations then – claiming they were pushed out because they were not Swapo Party members – are included in the new list.
“I can only confirm that those two people, Piet Fransman and Regina Kuhlman, are recommended on this list. We aim for transparency and something like that is not expected to happen again,” he said.
Former Hardap Governor Katrina Hanse-Himarwa was accused by the said recipients of removing them from the list at the last minute.
She claimed then that she replaced the two complainants with people she regarded as “needier,” stating that they would be part of the next allocations.
Mariental is building 268 houses during this phase, of which 160 are not ready for occupation, while 190 of 250 in Keetmanshoop are not ready for occupation.
Keetmanshoop Municipality CEO Desmond Basson said Shaningwa is scheduled to visit the town for a few days from 22 June to hand over the houses and to assess the progress of all 250 houses built at the town so far.
This leg of the Mass Housing programme will resume once a new contractor is appointed after alleged payment problems between the ministry and previous contractor, Namibian Homes.
The houses range from one to two bedroom.
(NAMPA)
PS/LI/AS