Man dies in shack fire in Windhoek

19 May 2016 19:20pm
WINDHOEK, 19 MAY (NAMPA) - A 28-year-old man died after his shack caught fire in the Okahandja Park informal settlement in the capital on Wednesday.
Namibian Police Force (NamPol) spokesperson, Chief Inspector Kauna Shikwambi told Nampa on Thursday the fire appears to have been caused by a candle.
She said the man reportedly fell asleep after lighting the candle.
The emergency services were dispatched to the scene, but the man had already died by the time they got there.
“They found it difficult to access the shack as there were no clear entry points for the emergency vehicle,” Shikwambi said.
She also said neighbours would have found it difficult to extinguish the fire because water is not readily available in the area where the fire broke out.
“As a police force we would like to caution the public to be very cautious, not only those who are using candles, but also electrical appliances such as heaters to keep warm during the winter. As much as we want to keep warm we really need to take good care of ourselves in order to prevent loss of lives,” Shikwambi said.
Selma Magares, the sister of the man who died, told this news agency the fire spread from her brother’s shack to two others, one of which was her own situated next to his.
She explained that their shacks were situated on an erf with three others – the other shack was partly damaged while hers also burned down.
“He tried to get out of the shack but couldn’t,” said Magares, who lost all her belongings in the fire.
(NAMPA)
LP/AS