Arandis resident sent to jail for 40 years

18 May 2016 16:40pm
WINDHOEK, 18 MAY (NAMPA) – An Arandis resident found guilty of murdering a woman whose decomposing body was discovered at a school at the town in the Erongo Region in 2013, has been sent to jail for 40 years.
Acting High Court Judge Dinnah Usiku found Charles !Noabeb guilty of murder with direct intent to kill, robbery with aggravating circumstances and attempting to defeat or obstruct the course of justice.
!Noabeb, 30, was prosecuted in connection with the murder of Cintha Robertha Gaeses, 22, between 28 and 29 March 2013 and her body was found on 03 April 2013.
On the count of murder with direct intent to kill, !Noabeb was sentenced to 30 years imprisonment.
He got 10 years on the count of robbery with aggravating circumstances.
On the last count of attempting to defeat or obstruct the course of justice, !Noabeb was sentenced to three years imprisonment which were ordered to run concurrently with the sentence imposed on the second count of robbery with aggravating circumstances.
!Noabeb was then sent to jail for an effective total of 40 years.
“Murder and robbery are very serious offences. The deceased was stabbed 29 times as per evidence of the medical doctor who had conducted a post-mortem examination on her body. “These stab wounds were on the deceased's back, which clearly demonstrate that the deceased was pursued as she attempted to get away from her assailant,” said acting Judge Usiku before she imposed the heavy punishment.
!Noabeb is a single father of a three-year-old child who is now in the care of !Naobeb's mother at Arandis.
He has been in police custody since his arrest on 03 April 2013.
!Naobeb has three previous convictions - two for assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm and one for robbery with aggravating circumstances.
These crimes were committed during 2007, 2008 and 2010, respectively.
Gaeses' decomposing and partly-naked body was found under a pile of rubbish in the yard of the Kolin Foundation Secondary School at Arandis on 03 April 2013.
!Noabeb robbed the deceased of her mobile phone shortly after the incident.
The mobile phone was found by police in !Naobeb's possession.
State Advocate Simba Nduna appeared for the prosecution.
Windhoek-based lawyer Milton Engelbrecht represented !Naobeb.