G4S guard granted N$3 000 bail for theft

19 Apr 2016 14:30pm
WINDHOEK, 19 APR (NAMPA) – A guard of the G4S security company arrested last week for the theft of N.dollars 100 000 from that company, is now out on bail.
Jacobus Apollus, 25, was granted bail of N.dollars 3 000 by Magistrate Ilge Rheent on Monday when he made his first appearance in the Windhoek Magistrate's Court along Lüderitz Street.
Court documents availed to Nampa on Tuesday morning show bail conditions include Apollus having to report himself at the Katutura Police Station every Monday between 07h00 and 13h00.
He is not allowed to leave the district of Windhoek without the permission of the police investigating officer in charge of his case.
The case was remanded until 04 July this year, pending further police investigations into the matter and to allow the accused person to apply for a State-funded lawyer to defend him during future court proceedings and when the trial proper begins.
Public Prosecutor Rowan van Wyk appeared for the State.
The G4S management reported the theft to the Namibian Police Force (NamPol)’s Serious Crime Unit last Thursday at about 10h00.
NamPol spokesperson, Inspector Slogan Matheus informed Nampa on Friday the money allegedly went missing while in transit from the security company's office in Eros area of the capital to a First National Bank (FNB) branch in Windhoek’s central business district.
Upon arrival at the bank, it was discovered that N.dollars 100 000 was missing from the total amount of money signed out at the office.
The police immediately launched an investigation into the matter and N.dollars 60 000 was recovered from a bathroom at Maerua Mall. Another N.dollars 39 800 was recovered later that same day from a handbag belonging to a cleaner at the same shopping mall.
Matheus said Apollus was arrested while at the G4S offices. He also had N.dollars 120 hidden in his socks.
The suspect confessed to the police that he had used N.dollars 80 of the missing money to pay his taxi fares and to buy a recharge voucher for his mobile phone.
The recovered money was returned to the company last Friday.