Investigations into irregularities at ZWTP
13 Apr 2016 09:00am
WINDHOEK, 13 APR (NAMPA) A forensic audit will be conducted to bring those responsible for mismanagement at the Zambezi Waterfront Tourism Park (ZWTP) to book, Minister of Information and Communication Technology Tjekero Tweya says.
Speaking here on Monday on the latest Cabinet decision, Tweya said Cabinet took note of the temporary closure of the park, adding that none of the planned construction phases were completed and it also did not meet industry standards.
The park sits on an elevated stretch of land measuring about 22 hectares on the banks of the Zambezi River and is largely a hospitality entity.
Cabinet took note of the envisaged commissioning of a comprehensive forensic audit to bring to book those accountable for the wastage of Government resources at ZWTP. Cabinet also directed the Minister of Environment and Tourism Pohamba Shifeta to submit a new business model and roadmap for the ZWTP in close collaboration with the board of directors, Tweya stated.
Meanwhile, during May 2014, the ZWTP was reassigned to the Ministry of Environment and Tourism to be run by Namibia Wildlife Resorts (NWR). The project which was started by government in 2005 initially resorted under the Ministry of Finance. It cost Government over N.dollars 150 million to develop the first two phases of the project. It was estimated that it would require a further injection of over N.dollars 70 million to be completed.
Last month, The Namibian newspaper reported that the park was temporarily closed down amid allegations of inefficient and dishonest administration, saying about 58 jobs are on the line.