United beat UNAM in exciting rugby premier league match

10 Apr 2016 16:40pm
WINDHOEK, 10 APR (NAMPA) – Windhoek-based Namibia Rugby Premier League defending champions UNAM on Saturday lost 24-26 to United in an exciting league match at the UNAM sport field.
Going into the game, UNAM were the favourites to win after thrashing Walvis Bay 40-06 at the coast a week ago, while United lost 20-22 against Reho Falcon in Windhoek.
In their clash on Saturday, United got off to a great start, scoring their first try as early as the 10th minute through Tuna Amutenya, while Winmar Rust converted to give them a seven-point lead.
Minutes later, United extended their lead to 10 points with a penalty goal, also scored by Rust.
UNAM took control of the game just after 24 minutes into the match when they ran in three tries and a penalty to take a comfortable lead before half time.
Rodney Coetzee scored UNAM’s first try in the 19th minute, Silvano Beukes in the 24th minute and Camlo Martin in the 40th minute. Lorenzo Louis converted from all tries and also scored a penalty for his team in the 36th minute.
United managed to score a penalty through Rust in the 31st minute.
The half-time score was 24-13 in favour of UNAM.
In the second half, United dominated play as they had more possession than UNAM. Both teams were defensively well organised in the second half, but United showed their character and won themselves two penalties in the opening 20 minutes of that half. Rust scored from the spot to reduce the score line to 24-19 in favour of UNAM.
In the last minutes of the match, United managed to break the resilient UNAM defence and Nandi Karuuombe scored their second try and Rust converted.
Speaking to the media after the game, United coach Jood Opperman said for the first time since the season started, his team played based to the instructions they were given and he was happy they won a crucial game.
“We really wanted to win this game because we want to be part of the semi-finalists for the league trophy this year. I am proud that in the second half and in the last 10 minutes of the game the players played according to instructions and we managed to get the points we really needed,” he said.