Duo in Uis attack found guilty

01 Mar 2016 17:00pm
WINDHOEK, 01 MAR (NAMPA) - Two men on trial in the High Court in connection with the violent attack and robbery of an elderly couple at the settlement of Uis in the Erongo Region in October 2010, have been found guilty.
Court documents availed to Nampa on Tuesday show that Charles Namiseb, 32, and the 34-year-old Edwin Tourob were on Monday found guilty of carrying out a bloody attack on the elderly couple on 03 October 2010.
The judgement was handed down by High Court Judge Alfred Siboleka.
They were each found guilty as charged by the State on two counts of attempted murder, a charge of robbery with aggravating circumstances, and three counts of rape.
The duo denied the allegations when they entered pleas of not guilty against the charges at the start of their trial in the High Court here in July 2013.
“The prosecution has presented overwhelming prima facie evidence in respect of the testimonies of several State witnesses that you (Namiseb and Tourob) were indeed the actual persons who carried out the brutal attacks on the elderly couple that fateful day.
“The assault was a merciless attack on the pensioners who were not able to fight off the attacks and properly defend themselves due to old age,” presiding Judge Siboleka said.
Submissions of evidence in mitigation and aggravation of sentencing by the two accused persons' Government-funded defence lawyers - Brownell Uirab and Christian Nambahu - as well as the prosecution, State Advocate Innocentia Nyoni are scheduled for this week.
Evidence presented by the prosecution during trial has it that during the attack, the 72-year-old man was struck on the head with a spade before he was dragged into the couple's house where he was allegedly tied up with an electrical cord.
His 69-year-old wife was also assaulted and tied up in the house by the two assailants. The woman was also allegedly raped, and sustained serious injuries.
The two convicts then robbed the elderly couple of their car, money, two firearms and jewellery worth about N.dollars 78 900.
Tourob was arrested on the day of the attack after he was wounded when the police shot at the stolen car as it drove through a police roadblock between Uis and Khorixas.
Namiseb was arrested in Swakopmund about three days after the alleged attack.
Windhoek-based defence lawyers Nambahu and Uirab are representing the two men on the instructions of the Justice Ministry's Directorate of Legal Aid.
Tourob and Namiseb remain in the police holding cells at the Windhoek Correctional Facility since their arrest in 2010 with no option to post bail.
The couple’s names are being withheld as the identity of victims of sex crimes may not be revealed.