26 Feb 2016 19:00pm
WINDHOEK, 26 FEB (NAMPA) - The newly-elected executive leadership of the Namibia Fuel and Allied Workers Union (NAFAWU) says the union's former Secretary-General David Frans is no longer authorised to speak on behalf of the union.
NAFAWU's new Secretary-General Felix Machenje said in a media statement availed to Nampa on Friday that Frans is no longer a member or leader of the union as he lost the position of secretary-general during a congress held on 11 April last year, and can no longer claim to be a leader in NAFAWU.
Frans issued a media statement last week saying NAFAWU will hold its elective congress at Oshakati in the Oshana Region on 04 March this year.
During the congress the union would purportedly elect a new leadership, as the current leaderships term of office apparently expired in December 2015.
Machenje however said they already held a congress last year in which Frans did not take part and as a result he was voted out and lost the position of secretary-general.
This news agency is in possession of a list of the names of all the new executive members of NAFAWU who were elected at last years congress. Frans' name is not on the list.
Also, a resolution taken by Trade Union Congress of Namibia (TUCNA) president Paulus Hango on 17 June last year, to which NAFAWU is an affiliate, shows that Frans is no longer a member or leader of NAFAWU.
In respect of the TUCNA resolution, Hango officially informed the management of Standard Bank Namibia on 17 June last year that Frans is no longer a part of NAFAWU and should not be allowed to access funds from the union's bank account.
If any member's money is withdrawn from the NAFAWU bank account by David Frans, TUCNA leadership will be left with no other option but to take legal action because we will be convinced that the bank is promoting misuse of public funds by conniving with David Frans, said Hango in a statement sent to the management of Standard Bank Namibia.
Furthermore, Frans' name does not also feature anywhere on a NAFAWU attendance list that contains the names of all the people who took part in the NAFAWU congress held on 11 April 2015.
Let me shed some light on this person (David Frans) so that everybody understands. David Frans was the cause of the mass dismissal of all fuel and service stations workers who participated in the illegal strike in 2014. The few who were lucky to be taken back by their employers, do not want to hear the name David Frans or NAFAWU any more due to the misleading information David Frans gave to the workers at the time of the illegal strike, said Machenje.
He said all legitimate executive members of NAFAWU are calling upon all workers in the fuel industry sector to distance themselves from any illegal gatherings called by Frans.
Furthermore, the NAFAWU executive has opened a criminal case against this imposter - David Frans - and we have instructed our lawyers to deal with him, added Machenje.
Efforts to get comment from Frans on Friday in respect of NAFAWUs position and Machenje's remarks proved futile as his mobile telephone number went unanswered on several occasions.