23 Feb 2016 16:50pm
KATIMA MULILO, 23 FEB (NAMPA) Allegations of the abduction of a 14-year-old girl by unknown men at the Chotto Informal Settlement here last weekend, has been rubbished by the Namibian Police Force (NamPol) as being untrue.
On Monday, some residents told Nampa that an unidentified girl was allegedly kidnapped by unknown men in the nearby bushes northwards of the settlement, where she went to relieve herself.
These sources further claimed that several minor boys, who had been playing football nearby, allegedly heard a scuffle between the girl and a man, after which they saw a red sedan vehicle drive towards the victim and her assailant who then forced her into the car.
However, upon enquires by Nampa on Tuesday, Namibian Police spokesperson, Warrant Officer Kisco Sitali said a search team deployed to the area with the assistance of community police volunteers found no foul play in the matter.
He added that no parents or guardians have come forward to report a missing child since the surfacing of such information from the community.
Police are treating that information as a rumour. That false information has now spread wide and across the region but no one has come forward to report a case of a missing child, said Sitali.
He added that a police search in the area has been called off after a community police volunteer was stabbed in the same bushes by an unknown man, whom they had given chase to.
The police have not arrested anyone in connection with the stabbing.
The unknown men pulled out a knife and stabbed one of the two volunteers who had chased him. We do not know why he was running away, as the volunteers were only following up on suspicious movements in the area.
The volunteer has been admitted to the state hospital but is stable, Sitali said.
Since October 2015, residents of Zambezi Region have been living in fear following the arrest of three taxi drivers who kidnapped two high school teenagers and drove them to the dumpsite where they wanted to attack them. The teens were rescued by NamPol on patrol in the area. The 'kidnappers' are set to plead on the charge of human trafficking in March.
Cases of missing people have also been reported between October 2015 and January 2016, with more than three bodies found with missing body parts suspected to have been traded for ritual purposes.