Remains of fatal minibus accident to WHK for DNA test
14 Feb 2016 16:30pm
WINDHOEK, 14 FEB (NAMPA) The remains of 15 people who died when a truck and minibus collided and caught fire on the Ondangwa-Oshivelo main road in the Oshikoto Region Friday afternoon, will be sent to Windhoek for forensic laboratory examinations to identify the individuals.
Spokesperson of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol), Deputy Commissioner Edwin Kanguatjivi told a media conference here on Sunday that all bodies were on Friday taken to hospitals at Tsumeb, Omuthiya and Onandjokwe, but will now be transported to Windhoek for thorough forensic laboratory examinations and other related DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) tests to be conducted by officials of NamPol's National Forensic Science Institute.
He said the victims identities will only be made public once examinations are complete.
The accident occurred at around 16h00 near the Casablanca settlement, some 10 kilometres from the Oshivelo Veterinary Cordon Fence entry point.
Crime Coordinator of NamPol in Oshikoto Region, Deputy Commissioner Naomi Katjiua confirmed the accident to Nampa on Friday, saying all 15 deceased had been travelling in the minibus.
Thirteen of the deceased persons were burned beyond recognition.
One of the minibus passengers, as well as the driver of the truck and his female passenger, survived the accident. They were admitted to the Tsumeb State Hospital in critical condition. The driver of truck was in the meantime discharged from the hospital.
It is alleged that the truck driver, who was heading in the direction of Oshivelo from Omuthiya, lost control of the truck after one of its tyres burst. The truck apparently veered into the lane of the minibus, which was coming from the direction of Oshivelo.
The truck belongs to Intercity Transport Company.
Police investigations into the accident are ongoing.