Alleged killer NDF soldier granted bail

05 Sep 2013 09:50
WINDHOEK, 05 SEP (NAMPA) – A member of the Namibian Defence Force (NDF) who was arrested last month after he allegedly shot and killed a man during a heated quarrel in Katutura, was granted bail of N.dollars 3 000 on Thursday.
The 39-year-old NDF soldier, Martin Niimbundu, who allegedly shot and killed Simon Natangwe Iipinge in the Greenwell Matongo residential area, was granted bail of N.dollars 3 000 in the Windhoek Magistrate's Court in Katutura on Thursday morning, following the conclusion of the hearing of his formal bail application earlier in the day.
Windhoek Magistrate Conchita Olivier granted the bail with no bail conditions attached to it.
Windhoek-based private defence lawyer Christiaan Nambahu represented the arrested soldier during the hearing of his successful formal bail application while Public Prosecutor Peter Kandjumbwa appeared for the prosecution.
In the matter Niimbundu, who was based at the NDF's military air force base at Karibib in the Erongo Region, was arrested by members of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol) shortly after he allegedly shot and killed Iipinge on 07 August this year in Greenwell Matongo in Katutura.
A media statement earlier issued by NamPol's Public Relations’ Division and availed to Nampa on 09 August this year had it that the soldier shot Iipinge in the chest at close range when the two men were embroiled in a heated quarrel at the premises of the 'Kitchener Take-Away' outlet.
Natangwe was pronounced dead upon arrival at the Katutura State Hospital, where he was taken for medical treatment.
According to the police statement, some unknown members of the public who were onlookers at the scene of crime took the law into their own hands shortly after the shooting incident which claimed Iipinge's life, and hit the soldier with stones, inflicting serious bodily injuries.
Niimbundu was, however, rescued when the police intervened in the matter by stopping the angry members of the public from further assaulting him.
The arrested soldier has received medical attention at the Katutura State Hospital under strict police guard for some days before he was brought to court for a first appearance on 12 August this year.