Trial in student pastor killing set for Sept 2016

28 Jan 2016 12:20pm
WINDHOEK, 28 JAN (NAMPA) - The trial of a man who allegedly murdered his student pastor girlfriend at the United Lutheran Theological Seminary Paulinum campus here in February 2014, is set for the beginning of September this year.
The trial of accused Andre 'Fidel Castro' Dausab, 36, is set to commence before Acting High Court Judge Dinah Usiku on 05 September this year, and is scheduled to run until 23 September 2016.
This was publicly confirmed when Dausab made another appearance in the High Court during a pre-trial conference of case management review before High Court Judge Naomi Shivute here on Thursday morning.
The date for the start of the trial was effected as per agreement reached between Dausab's State-funded defence lawyer Brownell Uirab and prosecution representative, Deputy Prosecutor-General Antonia Verhoef in court on Thursday.
Meanwhile, on 21 January this year, during the previous pre-trial conference of case management, Dausab through his defence lawyer told the court he has no recollection of the incident.
According to information contained in documents that were handed in before court on aforesaid date by the defence lawyer, Dausab has no recollection of the event because he allegedly suffered from temporary non-pathological insanity or criminal incapacity before and at the time of the commission of the crime.
“This will be the basis of the defence of Andre Dausab when his murder trial begins,” Uirab briefly informed the court without elaborating.
In addition, the defence lawyer further told the court that Dausab will strongly dispute the results of a mental fitness examination report that was compiled by State Psychiatrist, Dr Hambeleleni Mthoko that he (Dausab) was mentally fit before, during and after the commission of the crime.
A second mental fitness examination on Dausab will also be conducted in the next few days by a private and independent psychiatrist for expert evidence before trial begins on 05 September 2016.
Dausab, on 08 September 2014, denied killing his 33-year-old former girlfriend, Motlamme Gotaone, when he entered a preliminary 'not guilty' plea to a charge of murder in the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court.
Dausab, a former information technology technician, remains in police custody with no option to post bail until his next court appearance.
Gotaone, who was originally from neighbouring Botswana, was allegedly stabbed at least nine times with a sharp object and also sustained a cut to her throat.
The incident happened on the afternoon of 22 February 2014 at her flat.
Earlier reports by family and friends had it that Gotaone and Dausab had been experiencing problems and had allegedly been involved in several arguments prior to the alleged murder incident.
The duo had broken up and reunited in the past.
It is alleged that Dausab locked the flat after the incident and apparently called the police to inform them of the murder.
When the police retrieved the flat’s key from him and arrived at the scene, Gotaone had already died.
Gataone studied theology and had been at the campus in Pionierspark for about four years before her unfortunate death.
(NAMPA)
SKE/ND