Two more die after eating poisoned porridge

15 Jan 2016 20:00pm
OPUWO, 15 JAN (NAMPA) – Two more people died after eating porridge mixed with the sediment of traditional beer (tombo), bringing the number of deaths to five.
Mukaapita Tjindunda, 1, died on Thursday in the Oshakati State Hospital, while Tuapatua Tjiposa, 22, died Friday morning in the same hospital.
The Namibia Police in the Kunene Region told Nampa on Friday that a dog that ate the same porridge also died Thursday morning.
Three children died on Wednesday. They are Kataeko Tjindunda; Tjanakambendje Tjindunda, and Mbatajao Tjiposa, all aged 3.
Kakuriua Tjiposa, 13, Vekondja Tjiposa, 33, and Vehuririsa Tjiposa, 1, are still battling for their lives in the same hospital.
The incident happened at the Otjikondavirongo village in the area of Otjomuru in the Epupa Constituency on Wednesday.
It is alleged that the porridge was prepared by the children, who, when they saw the porridge was too thin, added the dried sediment of the traditional beer, not knowing that it is a poisonous substance.
According to the police report, the victims started vomiting and suffered severe diarrhoea after consuming the porridge.
The police said leftovers of the porridge will be examined to determine the exact cause of death.
The Deputy Minister of Health and Social Services, Juliet Kavetuna told Nampa on Friday that it is very heart breaking that a whole household died at once.
“I am speechless. All I can do is to appeal to every Namibian to assist in making sure that these people are buried with dignity,” she said.
(NAMPA)
UT/ND