13 Jan 2016 12:10pm
RUNDU, 13 JAN (NAMPA) A 19-year-old woman and her two-year-old daughter are fighting for life in the Rundu State Hospital after
they allegedly ate poisoned traditional food.
Leopoldine Kativa and her daughter, Christine Nandjira, are from the same household as three other people who were diagnosed with food poisoning and hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) last week Tuesday and Wednesday at the Nyangana District Hospital.
Confirming the incident to Nampa on Tuesday, Chief Medical Matron of the Rundu State Hospital, Yuri Yangazor said two of the patients passed away last week Thursday and another on Saturday.
The youngest deceased are Nangura Shipipa, 10, and a four-year-old boy, Mangundu Mangundu.
The other three patients, 53-year-old Johanna Matjayi, Kativa and Nandjira were immediately transferred to the Rundu State Hospital on the same day.
After close to two days at the Rundu State Hospital, Matjayi also succumbed to the poison and passed away on Saturday, leaving only Kativa and her daughter fighting for their lives.
The mother and daughter are alive struggling for life. However, on the other three patients, we did a post mortem and it gave a picture of Toxic Hepatitis. We took all samples such as blood, stomach content and liver which have been sent to a pathology lab for further investigation, Yangazor said.
It is not clear what kind of poisonous substance the traditional food contained, but it is clear that the patients livers are under pressure to remove the toxins from their bodies. Toxic Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver due to toxins such as industrial solvents or other pollutants. It is also not clear if all patents are related to each other.
Growing wildly during the rainy season in far-northern Namibia, mboga is a wild spinach that has been consumed by natives for centuries.