Murders linked to alcohol over New Year's weekend

03 Jan 2016 18:00pm
WINDHOEK, 03 JAN (NAMPA) – The Namibian Police Force (NamPol) recorded two cases of murder and one of attempted murder over the New Year's weekend.
NamPol's spokesperson, Chief Inspector Kauna Shikwambi informed a media conference here on Sunday that all murder incidences were alcohol related.
Starting off in the Khomas Region in the Havana informal settlement, a 27-year-old man died instantly on New Year's Eve when he was stabbed with a sharp object in the neck. His stabbing followed an argument that broke out between him and a 20-year-old male suspect.
The deceased, Adonis Eichab, and the suspect allegedly argued over alcohol, which led to the stabbing at about 22h40.
Shikwambi said the suspect was out on bail on a previous murder case and is expected to appear in the Katutura Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
The deceased's next of kin have been informed and police investigations continue.
An 18-year-old man was arrested in connection with the alleged murder of his brother in Otjomuise on New Year's Day.
According to Shikwambi, Dennis Fredericks, 24, was stabbed in the chest with a knife, allegedly by his brother, in the presence of their family after an argument broke out between the two over alcohol.
The incident occurred at about 23h30 in the 7de Laan informal settlement.
The suspect was arrested and is expected to appear in the Katutura Magistrate's Court on Monday.
Meanwhile, in the Otjozondjupa Region, a 20-year-old man stabbed a teenage girl with a handmade traditional spear in the left shoulder.
The suspect and the teenager were allegedly drinking together at a shebeen when an argument erupted, resulting in the stabbing of the victim.
The incident occurred at Farm Hirabeb, about 70 kilometres outside Grootfontein.
The girl was admitted in the Grootfontein State Hospital and is said to be in a critical condition.
The suspect was arrested and charged with attempted murder. His first appearance in the Grootfontein Magistrate’s Court is expected on Monday.
Police investigations continue.