Boy’s fingertips cut off by fireworks in Walvis

31 Dec 2015 17:20pm
WALVIS BAY, 31 DEC (NAMPA) - The Namibian Police at Walvis Bay have warned the coastal community to handle fireworks with care as they celebrate the New Year.
The Namibian Police Force (NamPol)’s Crime Investigations Coordinator in the Erongo Region, Deputy Commissioner Otillie Kashuupulwa issued the warning after a 17-year-old boy from Walvis Bay lost the tips of his left fingers while playing with fireworks.
“People should not play with fireworks, especially children. These things are dangerous,” she said.
Speaking to Nampa on Thursday, Kashuupulwa said the incident took place on Tuesday in the Tutaleni settlement.
“The fireworks were bought and kept in the house for the New Year celebrations, but the boy allegedly took it out and while playing in the street it went off in his hands.”
The boy’s right hand was also injured, but not as much as the left. Luckily, he did not sustain any other injuries.
“He was taken to the hospital where he was treated. The hospital called the police about the incident and I therefore decided to warn the community,” Kashuupulwa said.
She added that the police will investigate the matter to ensure that the fireworks were bought from a registered retailer.
Fines amounting to N.dollars 600 or 12 months’ imprisonment could be imposed for the buying or selling of illegal fireworks.
Last year, the public relations officer of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) at Swakopmund, Theresa Badenhorst, also called for the town authorities to stop the illegal sale of fireworks.
The call came after the SPCA took in 17 dogs and five cats which escaped their homes in fear of fireworks during the 2015 New Year celebrations in Swakopmund.
“The loudness of fireworks bring confusion, anxiety and fear into the lives of our pets, causing many to run away from their homes in an effort to escape the frightening sounds,” said Badenhorst.
(NAMPA)
PKS/AS