14 Dec 2015 16:50pm
WINDHOEK, 14 DEC (NAMPA) - Two Windhoek City Police officers and two civilians, arrested at the beginning of this month in connection with an alleged armed robbery of an English tourist couple here, were Monday granted bail.
The two City Police officers are Simeon Matti Kapolo and Engelman Haingura, while the two civilians are Llevelyn Ralph Strauss and Bjorn Wandeschowski.
The four suspects were each granted bail of N.dollars 15 000 at the ending of their formal bail applications in the Windhoek Magistrate along Lüderitz Street here on Monday morning.
The bail granted by Windhoek Magistrate, Ndapewa Celma Amadhila is coupled with stringent bail conditions in that every suspect must report on Mondays and Fridays between 07h00 and 19h00 at the office of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol) Serious Crime Investigations Unit in the capital.
The four accused men are also ordered not to directly or indirectly make contact with State witnesses in this matter or interfere with police investigations.
They should further hand over all their travelling documents to a NamPol Investigating Officer, Inspector Felix Ndikoma.
The four men were each granted bail after the prosecution team led by Public Prosecutor Erastus Hatutale and Ndikoma himself told the court they were no longer objecting to the granting of bail to the accused persons.
Windhoek-based defence lawyers of Milton Engelbrecht, Kadhila Amoomo, Mese Tjituri and Gilroy Casper represented the four susects during their bail application.
The four men's case was on Monday remanded until 17 March 2016 for further police investigations, as per agreement reached between prosecution representative, Hatutale and the four defence lawyers.
It was also made public in court on Monday that the total amount involved in the alleged armed robbery is N.dollars 300 000 of which about N.dollars 75 000 have been recovered by NamPol.
Earlier reports carried by the State-owned English daily 'New Era' newspaper has it that the accused City Police officers, a tour guide and an alleged diamond dealer were involved in the alleged theft of £15 000 (N.dollars 300 000) from British tourists.
The alleged theft occurred near or in Laurent Kabila Street in Suiderhof at around 12h00 when the two City police officers, dressed in their uniforms, allegedly mounted an unauthorised roadblock in the area.
They allegedly searched a vehicle thats occupants included the tourists and a tour guide who was their driver.
The cops were driving in a fully marked Windhoek City Police vehicle, according to various newspaper reports.
The NamPol spokesperson, Inspector Slogan Matheus had earlier explained that the tourists and the tour guide found the roadblock on their way from visiting an alleged diamond dealer from whom they were supposed to buy the precious stones.
But the tourists decided not to buy the stones as they appeared to be fake.
The two City Police officers stopped the tourists vehicle and they were all searched and the money was taken from them. The police officers then requested the tourists to follow them to the police station but they (police officers) drove fast and the tourists lost sight of the car, Matheus said.
The tourists reported the theft to NamPol and provided the registration number of the getaway City Police car.