147 phones smuggled into WHK Prison since January

27 Nov 2015 08:30am
WINDHOEK, 27 NOV (NAMPA) - A total of 147 mobile phones have been confiscated so far this year at the Windhoek Correctional Facility, says Deputy Commissioner of Prisons, Tuhafeni Hangula.
He made the announcement during a media briefing on Thursday, saying these phones were smuggled into the facility.
His comments follow the most recent incident in which a woman was detained on Thursday morning for trying to smuggle seven mobile phones into the prison, hidden inside a suitcase full of food.
The phones were intended for Ricardo Hoaeb, 29, who is suspected of murdering a truck driver near Tsumeb a year ago. Hoaeb also faces charges of car hijacking and escaping from lawful custody.
Hangula said the correctional service is faced with serious challenges of phones being smuggled in for use by inmates to among others, further criminal activities, threaten victims and witnesses, and by so doing interrupt the investigation of cases.
“We are faced with a serious challenge of carrying out our mandate because the community is making our work difficult by smuggling these phones to the inmates. Stop promoting criminality!” he urged.
Most of the phones are smuggled in by family members or friends who come to visit incarcerated persons, making it difficult for the Namibian Correctional Service to do their mandate of rehabilitating inmates, said Hangula.
He said it has been established that 80 per cent of the smuggled phones are brought in by women.
The deputy commissioner further requested members of the public to refrain from assisting inmates in such a manner, and instead assist in rehabilitating the prisoners.
(NAMPA)
PM/ND/LI