No Namibians reported dead in Paris attacks yet

14 Nov 2015 12:20pm
WINDHOEK, 14 NOV (NAMPA) - It is not yet known whether there are Namibians in the casualties and fatalities in the Paris terrorist attack which took place in France Friday evening.
Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah told Nampa in a telephonic interview from Zimbabwe on Saturday that she spoke to the Namibian Ambassador to France, Frieda Ithete, who confirmed that nothing has been communicated to her yet whether any Namibian citizen fell victim in the attack that this far claimed 128 lives.
About eight terrorists detonated suicide bombs and fired gun shots into the crowd during a concert at the Bataclan stadium, which accommodated as many as 1 500 people.
Some 80 people are seriously injured, but the numbers could go up.
She said, so far in the official roll-call which was made, no Namibian has fallen victim to the attack.
On behalf of the Namibian Government, Nandi-Ndaitwah strongly condemned the attack, saying that it is not the way to solve issues.
“The Namibian government does not condone the attack. It is unfortunate that the attackers took that deadly way. Issues have to be dissolved swiftly instead of taking innocent lives,” Nandi-Ndaitwah said.
She described the attack as unacceptable.
“We have to protect one another instead of killing one another,” the minister said.
France has declared a national state of emergency and has tightened its borders, after the mass-hostage taking, gun and bomb attacks in Paris, according the BBC news.
No one has thus far claimed responsibility for the attack that fell just a few weeks before the COP21 conference in Paris, where people from all around the world are to meet on climate change discussions.
(NAMPA)
MMT/ANS/LI/ND