Man arrested for death of Otjiwarongo woman

11 Nov 2015 11:00am
OTJIWARONGO, 11 NOV (NAMPA) – A 33-year-old man was arrested on Monday in connection with the death of Elizabeth Ganses, whose partly burnt body was found here on 31 October 2015.
The Namibian Police Force (NamPol)’s Otjozondjupa Head of Operations, Deputy Commissioner Moses Khairabeb told Nampa on Wednesday that the suspect was arrested at the Okaepe village in the Okakarara Constituency.
He was found in possession of a Nokia mobile phone that belonged to the 26-year-old Ganses.
The suspect is set to make his first court appearance in the Otjiwarongo Magistrate’s Court on Thursday.
Khairabeb said the suspect had on Tuesday confessed to him that he had killed Ganses.
He said the suspect narrated that he and Ganses were on that fateful day socialising at a bar in the DRC informal settlement before they had sexual intercourse nearby, and that he gave her N.dollars 400 as payment.
The suspect told the police that while they were on their way to a night club, Ganses’ boyfriend called her and told her to go home and sleep, after which Ganses decided not to proceed to the club.
The suspect allegedly insisted that they have sex again, but a quarrel erupted between them, and this led to a physical fight during which he strangled Ganses and later raped her, removed some of her clothes and set her lifeless body alight with a cigarette.
However, at the Magistrate’s office at Otjiwarongo on the same Tuesday, the suspect confessed in a written statement that he killed Ganses after she told him that she was HIV positive.
Ganses, apparently, only told him this after they had sexual intercourse three times without any protection.
He also admitted that he strangled her for approximately 15 to 20 minutes until her body was motionless.
Ganses’ chest, face and hair were partly burnt, while a stab wound was visible on her private parts.
The suspect has several pending criminal cases of rape, robbery, house breaking, theft and illegal possession of a firearm.
These cases date back to 2012. The suspect was released on bail of N.dollars 800 on one of these cases in 2014.
Police investigations continue.