Alleged killer Dausab fires his State-funded lawyer

22 Oct 2015 13:10pm
WINDHOEK, 22 OCT (NAMPA) - A man who allegedly murdered his student pastor girlfriend at the United Lutheran Theological Seminary Paulinum campus here in February last year (2014), on Thursday fired his State-appointed defence lawyer.
The 34-year-old Andre 'Fidel Castro' Dausab parted ways with his government-sponsored defence lawyer, Willem Visser due to some irreconcilable misunderstanding between the lawyer and himself on how to proceed with the alleged murder trial.
As a result of this development, Visser asked High Court Judge, Nate Ndauendapo to be allowed to withdraw from the matter.
Dausab returns to the Windhoek High Court on 19 November this year (2015) when the court and prosecuting authority led by Deputy Prosecutor-General, Antonia Verhoef will get a response from the Justice Ministry's Directorate of Legal Aid in respect of the appointment of a new defence lawyer for the accused.
In the matter, on 08 September last year (2014), Dausab denied killing his 33-year-old former girlfriend, Motlamme Gotaone when he entered a preliminary 'not guilty' plea to a charge of murder in the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court situated along Lüderitz Street.
Dausab, a former information technology technician, had previously entered his preliminary pleas before Windhoek Magistrate, Jermaine Muchali.
Dausab remains in police custody until his next court appearance on 19 November this year (2015).
The student pastor's murder had last year (2014) prompted former president, Hifikepunye Pohamba to call for Government intervention in addressing the escalation in violence against women and girls by their male partners in Namibia.
Gotaone, who was originally from neighbouring Botswana, was allegedly stabbed at least nine (9) times with a sharp object and also sustained a cut to her throat.
The incident happened on the afternoon of 22 February 2014 at her flat.
The deceased person was apparently living with two roommates.
Earlier reports by family and friends had it that Gotaone and Dausab had been experiencing problems and had allegedly been involved in several arguments prior to the alleged murder incident.
The duo had broken up and reunited in the past.
It is alleged that Dausab locked the flat after the incident and apparently called the police to inform them of the murder.
When the police retrieved the flat’s key from him and arrived at the scene, Gotaone had already died.
According to eyewitnesses, her body was found near the door of the flat.
Gataone studied theology and had been at the campus for about four (4) years before her death.