12 Oct 2015 08:10am
ONGWEDIVA, 12 OCT (NAMPA) The head of the Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Forestrys Forestry Directorate in the Ohangwena Region, Moses Moses says his directorate is determined to fight the smuggling of illegally harvested wood.
Speaking to Nampa in a telephonic interview from Eenhana on Sunday, Moses indicated that forestry officials are on the lookout for culprits who are using Ohangwena as transit region for wood which is illegally harvested in the Kavango West Region.
This comes after trucks filled with wood harvested in the Kavango West Region were intercepted in the region last month and last Tuesday.
Last week a truck with a trailer was intercepted near Eenhana, and it was loaded with 100 poles, 100 droppers and two tonnes of firewood.
The truck was impounded at the Eenhana Forestry Office, the driver fined N.dollars 800 and all products by which the permit was exceeded were offloaded at Eenhana, Moses said.
The truck had been en route from Kavango West to Oshakati in the Oshana Region. It belongs to a prominent businessperson at Eenhana, but was hired to transport the wood by four individuals from Kavango West who normally sell wood0, especially in the form of poles and droppers, to customers around the northern regions of Ohangwena, Oshana, Omusati and Oshikoto.
Moses noted that the four individuals received a permit to harvest and transport only 100 poles, compared to the about 2 500 pieces of wood found in the truck.
The truck was released the next day (Wednesday) after workers of the Forestry Directorate offloaded all the wood.
Officials of the same forestry directorate last month intercepted another truck loaded with some 2 000 pieces of wood illegally harvested at Mukekete village, also in the Kavango West Region.
The truck was impounded at the police roadblock at Onhuno on 11 September.
The wood was confiscated and the driver fined N.dollars 300. The truck was later released.