10 Oct 2015 12:50pm
SWAKOPMUND, 10 OCT (NAMPA) - Two Windhoek-based men arrested in connection with the theft of N.dollars 245 000 appeared in the Swakopmund Magistrates Court on Thursday, and were remanded in police custody.
Paul Kahuika, 49, and Vernon Christoff van Rensburg, 33, are suspected to have been operating a vehicle sale scam, and allegedly swindled two men out of a combined N.dollars 245 000 last week.
This happened after the duo requested such money to be paid into their accounts as deposit for vehicles the victims wanted to buy from them.
They were arrested by the Namibian Police Force (NamPol) in Windhoek on Tuesday.
When they made their first appearance on Thursday, State prosecutor Rowan van Wyk opposed bail with the reasons that the amount swindled involved is very high.
The State further submitted that only N.dollars 5 000 of the N.dollars 245 000 was recovered and that the case is still under investigation.
You are advised to apply for formal bail, said Van Wyk
Detective Chief Inspector of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol) at Walvis Bay, Erastus Iikuyu told Nampa on Wednesday that the suspects placed an advert in the local newspaper at Swakopmund for the sale of vehicles.
He said the victims, who were interested in buying the advertised vehicles - a Toyota pick-up, a truck and a bulldozer were made to pay in advance and before delivery, which they did.
The advert indicated that the vehicles were apparently in the Uis settlement.
The first victim from Walvis Bay deposited N.dollars 45 000 at Standard Bank in Henties Bay, while the second victim from Swakopmund deposited N.dollars 200 000 into a First National Bank account at Swakopmund.
Iikuyu said the scammers withdrew the money just 10 minutes after it appeared on the accounts and switched off their phones.
N.dollars 45 000 was withdrawn in Mariental in the Hardap Region, while N.dollars 195 000 of the N.dollars 200 000 was withdrawn in Windhoek. The N.dollars 5 000 was recovered as it was still on the account, said the detective.
Kahuika and Van Rensburg were not asked to plead.
Magistrate Surita Savage heard their case and postponed it to 08 December 2015, for further police investigation and to allow the suspects to prepare for legal representation.