Accused killer Barman arrested for attempted murder

13 Aug 2013 09:00
WINDHOEK, 13 AUG (NAMPA) - Windhoek resident Jeffrey Barman, who is accused of killing his girlfriend here last November, is again in conflict with the law.
This time, he is accused of having assaulted his cousin, Albertus Duncan, 22, by cutting him several times with a knife on the neck, back and shoulders.
He was arrested by members of the Namibian Police Force (NamPol)'s Serious Crime Unit on Friday in Katutura, shortly after the incident.
Barman, 21, allegedly committed this new offence whilst free on bail of N.dollars 3 000, granted by Windhoek Magistrate Conchita Olivier on 10 May this year at the end of his formal bail application on the charge of murdering his girlfriend.
According to the police, Duncan is in a critical health condition, and is fighting for his life in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the Katutura State Hospital.
On Tuesday, Barman again appeared before Windhoek Magistrate Olivier, and his new case was remanded until 21 October this year as police investigations were still at an initial stage.
The accused was also requested by the court to immediately apply to the Justice Ministry's Directorate of Legal Aid for a State-funded defence lawyer to defend him in this case due the complexity and serious nature of the charge he is facing.
Public Prosecutor Menencia Hinda appeared for the State, while Barman defended himself with no legal representation.
In the murder case, the young man allegedly killed his girlfriend, Melanie Booysen, 20, by cutting her throat with a broken glass during a party held for their four-year-old daughter in the Golgotha residential area on 10 November last year.
He was granted bail in that case, with some stringent conditions attached to it in that he should report himself every Monday and Friday at the Windhoek police station between 08h00 and 10h00.
Barman was also ordered to hand over his passport and other travel documents to the Namibian Police investigating officer, and was forbidden to apply for other travel documents whilst out on bail.
He was further ordered not to interfere with police investigations by way of contacting State witnesses, or anyone else who is involved in the murder case.
The accused was also instructed not to leave the district of Windhoek without having obtained permission from the investigating officer.