Botes calls it a day with Brave Warriors
28 Aug 2015 10:30am
WINDHOEK, 28 AUG (NAMPA) - Veteran Brave Warriors and South African Premier Soccer League (PSL) Bidvest Wits striker Henrico Botes is hanging up his boots after an international football career spanning 14 years.
The striker plied his trade for Young Ones and Ramblers in Namibia before moving to Moroka Swallows and then Platinum Stars in South Africa. He has so far scored four goals in 20 appearances for the national team since 2001.
A media statement availed to Nampa on Thursday by the Namibia Football Association (NFA) quoted Botes as saying he has decided to step down from the senior national football team following years of dedicated service, although many injuries have plagued his international career.
He said his decision has been a long time coming and after consultations with Brave Warriors coach Ricardo Mannetti, he decided to make the call.
I have been thinking about it for over a year now and it is only because of coach Mannetti that I kept pushing and of course for the love of my country. Im now in the twilight of my career and I need to concentrate on my club career and focus all my energy on that, Botes stated.
He added that this was not an easy decision.
It is not an easy decision but I feel it is now time to call it quits, he said.
Botes missed the 2008 African Nations Cup due to injury. The 35-year-old player added that he felt it was time for him to step aside and give younger players a chance.
There are a lot of exciting young players coming through and they need their chance to have their moments with the national team as well. It is for all of us and we all have a chance and now I need to step aside, he stated.
Botes said he wishes the current crop of players all the best in representing Namibia.
It has been an incredible journey with these young boys and I wish them all the best. Im still their biggest supporter. I am always available to them with advice on anything, especially the young ones who move abroad, said Botes.