Ex-cop found guilty for girlfriend murder

25 Aug 2015 15:30pm
WINDHOEK, 25 AUG (NAMPA) - A former police officer who shot and killed his prison warden girlfriend here in September 2011, was on Tuesday found guilty as charged in the High Court.
Gerhard Komeya is on trial in the Windhoek High Court for the killing of 42-year-old Kertu Maria Tunondjambi Sheehama at their home in Windhoek’s Hakahana residential area on 10 September 2011.
The 44-year-old Komeya was found guilty on a charge of murder; attempted murder for firing shots in the direction of his minor child, two-year-old Lucia Komeya; a charge of pointing a firearm at Rebekka Sheehama, the biological sister of the deceased person; malicious damage to property when he destroyed a mobile phone belonging to his late girlfriend as well as a charge of defeating or obstructing the course of justice by attempting to remove some of the spent cartridges from the crime scene.
On the count of murder, which was dealt with by the court in terms of the Combating of Domestic Violence Act Four (4) of 2003, Komeya was found guilty with intention to kill his late girlfriend.
“I accept the State's evidence that you, Gerhard Komeya, told the deceased person to stand up so that you can kill her together with her two children (Eveline Komeya, 10, and Lucia Komeya, two-year-old). Your version that gunshots that struck the deceased person went off accidentally from the shotgun cannot be possibly true and your version is, therefore, rejected by the court as false. You had an intention to kill the deceased person that fateful day,” said Judge Naomi Shivute as she found Komeya guilty as charged. Submission before sentencing is scheduled for next week Thursday, 03 September 2015.
On 18 February this year during trial, Komeya denied any wrongdoing and claimed that he had no intention to kill his late prison warden girlfriend by pleading not guilty to all the five charges levelled against him.
He claimed that the gunshots, which led to the death of his deceased girlfriend, went off accidentally during a tense scuffle between the two lovers on that fateful day.
Delivering instructions to his defence lawyer during the cross-examination of State witness, Rebekka Sheehama, during her evidence-in-chief, Komeya said: “I had no intention to kill the deceased person. Some heated verbal arguments erupted when the deceased person confronted me in the house, wanting to know why I was travelling to the North without her knowledge. At that particular moment, she was angry and pushed me when she heard that I was about to travel to the North. And during this scuffle, shots which went off accidentally from the shotgun, hit and killed the deceased person.”
However, Komeya's version was flatly dismissed by Judge Shivute as “mere fabrications, lies and afterthoughts.”
State witness, Rebekka Sheehama, said she personally saw Komeya loading the shotgun (weapon) with bullets.
“Three gunshots were fired, of which two gunshots hit the deceased person in the mouth and lower part of her jaws. A third bullet was found in the chamber of the rifle,” the State witness recounted.
Credible evidence presented before court during trial had it that Komeya shot his girlfriend dead, and it was at a time the late Sheehama was scheduled to be transferred from Windhoek to the coastal town of Swakopmund in the Erongo Region, as part of her promotion to a higher position.
Family members, relatives and neighbours, who were also State witnesses, told the court that the relationship between Komeya and his deceased girlfriend was characterised by violence and abuse over the several years.
Convict Komeya was arrested by the police at their house in the Hakahana area of Katutura shortly after the incident.
Defence lawyer, Monty Karuaihe is defending Komeya on the instructions of the Justice Ministry's Directorate of Legal Aid.
Komeya remains in police custody. Submission before sentencing is scheduled for next week Thursday, 03 September 2015.