Walvis learners lose uniforms in shack fire

22 Aug 2015 13:50pm
WALVIS BAY, 22 AUG (NAMPA) - Parents of about 20 children who lost school uniforms and books in a blaze that destroyed 26 shacks here, are appealing for assistance from the public to replace the items.
“Our children keep asking us when and how they will get new uniforms and books. We tell them that we will buy it soon but the truth is we do not have the money to do so,” said Selma Haule, one of the fire victims.
The fire, suspected to have been caused by a faulty electricity plug, erupted at the Namport suburb and the Tutaleni informal settlement in the Kuisebmund residential area of Walvis Bay at about 03h00 on Tuesday.
“Most people did not save a single thing from the fire. Some of us were asleep and just woke up in the smoke; others were at work on night shift,” she said.
A house, which was surrounded by the shacks, was also completely destroyed by the fire.
“We appeal to Samaritans out there to assist us with accommodation and food; we have nothing left, all our property and food was burnt,” said another victim Tangeni Ndubu.
More than 100 people are affected by the fire and are now homeless.
Ndubu and Haule said the Walvis Bay Rural Constituency office promised to give the victims a tent as temporary accommodation.
Swapo Party coordinator for Erongo Region, Philipus Heita on Friday visited the victims and donated food such as rice, macaroni, maize meal, sugar, cooking oil and fish.
“When I heard about it I felt sorry for the people and decided to give the little I have from my own pocket. We will continue to solicit help for them,” Heita said.
(NAMPA)
PKS/ND/LI