ZBC fires hundreds, closes TV station

August 13, 2015, 5:16am
Image:Bulawayo24.com

ZBC fires hundreds, closes TV station

HARARE - As Zimbabwe's economic meltdown continues to escalate, the cash-strapped Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation (ZBC) on Wednesday closed its loss-making second television station and fired hundreds of its employees using the recent Supreme Court ruling that confirmed that employers could terminate the contracts of employees on three months’ notice.

Only last week, the State broadcaster fired four of its top officials — suspended chief executive officer Happison Muchechetere; former General Manager of finance, Elliot Kasu; ex-General Manager of Radio Services, Allan Chiweshe; and the Head (Finance) Ralph Nyambudzi. Now it has moved to wield the axe on journalists and supporting staff, in a desperate attempt to stay afloat.

Although the Daily News could not establish the exact number of people affected, as ZBC's spokesperson Gladman Bhandama was not picking up his phone, sources said at least 300 employees were left in tears yesterday when they were given the letters terminating their contracts.

Apart from firing its workers, the corporation also closed its second television channel, while its Gweru-based Voice of Zimbabwe operations were said to be hanging in the balance.

A letter that was written to the dismissed workers by the company cited the recent Supreme Court judgement as the basis for the dismissals.

Blessings Mashaya: Daily News