Man ‘traumatised’ after being mistaken for killer

August 11, 2015, 10:22am

Man ‘traumatised’ after being mistaken for killer

Following the weekend’s shooting of a Finnish man in a road-rage incident, a 39-year-old man claims he was wrongfully handcuffed in his home on Sunday evening. Brian Petersen, who lives with his father, says he was sitting peacefully at home when he heard suspicious noises outside.
“I looked through the window and saw guys patrolling around the house with AK47s. As my fiancée approached me to see what was going on, they were already in the house.”
Petersen says he believed the men were from the police’s Special Field Force judging by their uniforms.
He says they pointed a gun at him and told him to get down on the floor with his hands behind his back.
“They handcuffed my fiancée as well and searched the house for a gun. I knew I had done nothing wrong so I did not resist.”
Not long after they had handcuffed Petersen his father walked into the room and explained that his son’s car had been in accident about a week earlier and it was not the car they were looking for.
Petersen’s father convinced the officers to release him and his fiancée.
Petersen says he was traumatised by the events and fears driving his car because its picture was circulated on social media.
“After the events a friend of mine sent me the image of my car which was tagged along with the other images of the victim’s car and the story. I know these people were following me because that picture was taken earlier on Sunday when I was out for lunch at Spur.”
Petersen says he fears for his life because a friend or family member of the deceased could seek vengeance.
The Khomas regional police commander, Commissioner Heinrich Tjiveze, said it was an unfortunate event, and pointed out that the police are on the trail of a serious criminal.
“We have to be prepared; I mean the criminal fired nine bullets so you know it’s a serious matter.”
He said the investigation into the shooting is in an advanced stage and it is just a matter of time before the perpetrator is found.

No arrest yet
Meanwhile, police spokesperson Inspector Slogan Matheus said no one has been arrested yet in connection with the murder, which has sent shockwaves throughout the country. The 42-year-old man died on Saturday evening after he was shot nine times reportedly by a driver of a white Volkswagen Polo.
The police said they collected nine spent cartridges at the scene from the scene but could not yet establish how many of the bullets hit the deceased.
The deceased was identified as Marko Ronni and was married to local dentist Dr Esther Niita Shamena.
He was driving a Land Rover Discovery when he bumped the suspect’s vehicle.
The incident took place outside a bar in Bell Street in Windhoek’s southern industrial area.

By Garwin Beukes Namibian Sun