27 Jul 2015 10:20am
WINDHOEK, 27 JUL (NAMPA) Namibias under-20 womens football team lost 0-1 to the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DR Congo) here on Sunday, and bowed out of the 2015 CAF Under-20 Womens World Cup qualifiers with a 0-5 aggregate.
Namibia lost its first-leg match 0-4 earlier this month in DR Congo and needed to score five goals without a reply from DR Congo if it were to reach the next round of the competition.
The 2015 Confederation of African Football (CAF) Under-20 Womens World Cup qualifying tournament acts as qualification to the 2016 International Federation of Football Associations (FIFA) U-20 Women's World Cup.
Only two teams from Africa will qualify for the final of the U-20 Women's World Cup to be hosted by Papua New Guinea from 28 October to 16 November 2016.
On Sunday at the Sam Nujoma Stadium in Katutura, DR Congo scored the only goal of the match in the 64th minute through a powerful Muadi Joelle shot into the top right corner from 25 metres away.
Namibia failed to control play and threaten the oppositions half, leaving DR Congo to dominate.
Speaking to the media after the game, Namibias coach Bertus Bock said despite losing the game and bowing out of the competition, his team blended well.
It was impossible for us to score five goals to go through to the next round of the competition.
But I am happy that our strategy of containing the DR Congo wingers who were very strong in the first leg worked. We are now turning our attention to the other competitions, as this team looks strong for the future, he said.
Bock added that most of the girls who played in the team are below 17 years, and they will now be preparing for the FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup qualifiers against Botswana in November.
Meanwhile, DR Congo will now face Nigeria for the next round of the U-20 qualifiers.