Meier murder suspect still on the run

20 Jul 2015 16:20pm
KATIMA MULILO, 20 JUL (NAMPA) – More than a week since a tour guide was murdered and robbed at the Lianshulu village, the police in the Zambezi Region are yet to recover the stolen cash and arrest a fourth suspect in the matter.
The suspect, whose name has not yet been made public by the Namibian Police Force (NamPol), forms part of the group of four men who robbed the 42-year-old Meier and his Swiss girlfriend of N.dollars 13 000; Botswana Pula 300; South African Rands 200; two iPhones; a laptop; camera and other items on 10 July 2015.
On Monday, Zambezi Regional Police Commander Boniface Mukendwa told Nampa investigations are at a critical stage. He said police officers are still searching for the suspect, who is on the run with his unidentified wife.
Mukendwa added that the money and laptop stolen from Meier and his girlfriend have also not yet been recovered.
“I cannot really divulge information at this stage of the investigation. All I can say is that investigations into the matter are progressing well and I believe an arrest is imminent,” he said.
The couple were attacked while camping in the bush at Lianshulu. The couple were asleep when two men wearing balaclavas and armed with knives tore open their tent and kidnapped them between 01h30 and 02h00.
The robbers tied them up and ordered them into their vehicle, which later got stuck in the bush, after which the men started searching the vehicle and found cash and other items.
Before escaping on foot, one of the robbers pulled the woman from the vehicle in an attempt to rape her, but Meier managed to free himself and defended her, and in the process a fight ensued between the men.
During the fight, Meier was stabbed five times in the stomach, chest and back and when the robbers saw he was getting weak, they ran off. The woman only managed to find help after 06h00, when she walked into a camp of the Namibian Special Field Force in the area.
Three men – Walter Lwendo Lupalezwi, 34; Ndozi Ndozi, 21; and Harris Sijiwa, 29 – have since appeared before Magistrate Karl Muyeghu on two counts of robbery with aggravating circumstances, indecent exposure, kidnapping and murder.
Muyeghu remanded them in custody after postponing the matter to 19 October this year.