Pensioner's homestead destroyed in fire

01 Aug 2013 12:10
OSHANDUMBALA, 01 AUG (NAMPA) - A three-year-old boy is suspected to have caused a fire which destroyed his 93-year-old great-grandmother’s homestead at Oshandumbala village in the Oshana Region on Wednesday morning.
The village is situated in the Oshitayi area near Ondangwa.
It is suspected that the boy played with matches, which resulted in the fire that destroyed three bedrooms and two storage rooms at Toini Nehoya’s homestead at around 11h00.
Family members speculated that the boy played with the matches in Nehoya's bedroom as they saw him running from her room after the fire had already started there.
“He said he torched the bedroom, although we are not sure if he was telling the truth,” a family member, who asked not to be named, said.
Nehoya told Nampa in a brief interview at her homestead on Wednesday that she lost most of her belongings, especially those that were in her bedroom, in the fire.
“I lost all of my blankets, clothes and my bed,” she noted, adding that the other bedrooms which were destroyed in the fire belonged to relatives who are away because of official duties.
Nehoya appealed to Good Samaritans to come to her family’s rescue by donating bedding and material to rebuild the destroyed rooms.
Members of the fire brigade at Ondangwa were called in to help extinguish the fire, but Nehoya said it was too late for them to save the property.
Fortunately, nobody was injured in the fire.
Nehoya has an eight-member family, most of whom are children.
(NAMPA)
NN/AS