NRU names preliminary 2015 RWC squad

18 Jun 2015 17:30pm
WINDHOEK, 18 JUN (NAMPA) – The Namibia Rugby Union (NRU) on Thursday announced a 50-man training squad for the 2015 Rugby World Cup (RWC) to be hosted in England in September this year.
Namibia had been drawn in Pool C with New Zealand, Argentina, Tonga and Georgia. The opening match against New Zealand is scheduled for 24 September at the Olympic Stadium in London.
The squad will be reduced to 31 players to will represent the country at the RWC.
Out of the 50 players, five players: Johnnie Redelinghuys, Nico Esterhuyzen, Jacques Burger, Thinus du Plessis and Eugene Jantjies – have participated in the 2007 and 2011 RWCs in France and New Zealand, respectively.
NRU Logistics and Operational Manager, Wessel Kotze, said during a media briefing on Thursday that all logistics are in place for the world cup.
“Everything has been booked; our accommodation, flight tickets and other logistics, have been sorted out. We are now busy preparing the team to represent the nation,” he said.
Ahead of their camp in Durban, South Africa in August, Namibia’s Welwitschias will assemble in Windhoek early July to prepare for two test matches against Russia on 11 and 18 July.
Namibia is currently playing in the 2015 World Rugby Nations Cup in Bucharest. It lost its opening match on Friday to the Argentinean Jaguars (10-30) and also lost on Wednesday evening against Romania (3-43).
Namibia will play Spain in their last group game on Sunday.
Other matches lined up for the Welwitcshias are against Kenya on 08 August in Windhoek and against Zimbabwe on 15 August, also in Windhoek, in the Africa Cup competition.
(NAMPA)
HK/ND/LI