Suspects in N.dollars 2.2 million case set free

29 Jul 2013 09:40
WINDHOEK, 29 JUL (NAMPA) - Five men implicated in an alleged robbery involving N.dollars 2,2 million in May 2012, have been set free after a prolonged failure by the police investigating team to complete investigations after the court had also granted several postponements for that purpose.
Windhoek-based businessmen Josia Muhongo, 54; and Michael Shidiwe, 53; Eros resident Eliaser Amukoto, 50; and police officers Nestor Kashuupulwa, 34 and Mupopiwa Mupopiwa, 32, heard the good news when they made another appearance before Windhoek Magistrate Justine Asino along L├╝deritz Street on Monday.
The five men each faced a charge of robbery, and an alternative charge of theft.
All charges were withdrawn due to a lack of prima facie evidence available before court in order to successfully prosecute the group.
In addition, the court also ordered the cancellation of their bail, and that the bail money of between N.dollars 5 000 and N.dollars 30 000 be refunded to the depositors.
Businessman Muhongo was free on bail of N.dollars 30 000.
Shidiwe and Amukoto were each free on bail of N.dollars 20 000, while the two officers in the Namibian Police Force (NamPol), Kashuupulwa and Mupopiwa, were free on bail of N.dollars 5 000 each.
In the matter, the five men were all arrested by NamPol members in April and May 2012 after they were accused of robbing a Lebanese-born resident of Canada, Vicken Kaprelian, of about N.dollars 2,2 million in Klein Windhoek on 16 May 2012.
Earlier reports carried by local English daily 'The Namibian' had it that Kaprelian was allegedly robbed by a group of men who, while pretending to be police officers, stormed into a house in Klein Windhoek.
Kaprelian was supposedly negotiating a business deal there, and the alleged robbers are said to have stolen the money from the foreign national.
Advocate Gerson Hinda (SC), and attorneys Orben Sibeya, Sisa Namandje and Nuncia Sikongo represented the five men.
Public Prosecutor Samantha Diergaardt appeared for the State when the charges against the five men were withdrawn.