Barman denies killing girlfriend: COURT

25 Jul 2013 10:50
WINDHOEK, 25 JUL (NAMPA) – A young man who stands accused of killing his girlfriend during their daughter's birthday party here last November, has denied any involvement in the alleged murder.
Windhoek resident Jeffrey Barman allegedly caused the death of his late girlfriend Melanie Booysen, 20, by cutting her throat with a broken glass during a party held for their four-year-old daughter in the Golgotha residential area on 10 November 2012.
The 21-year-old Barman entered a plea of not guilty to the charge of murder here in the Windhoek Magistrate's Court in Katutura along Mungunda Street on Thursday morning.
Barman also pleaded not guilty to a second charge of having assaulted Charlton Swartz on that same day.
He entered the not-guilty pleas to the two charges in the presence of his private defence lawyer Willem Visser, and in terms of Section 119 of the Criminal Procedures Act before Magistrate Conchita Olivier.
His case was thereafter remanded until 22 October this year in order to allow the Office of Prosecutor-General Martha Ekandjo-Imalwa to pronounce itself on the matter.
Barman is free on bail of N.dollars 3 000, and his bail was today extended until his next court appearance.
Public Prosecutor Menencia Hinda handled the State's case.
The accused was granted bail on 10 May this year by Magistrate Olivier, with some stringent conditions attached to it in that Barman reports himself every Monday and Friday at the Windhoek Police Station between 08h00 and 10h00.
He was also ordered to hand over his passport and other travel documents to the Namibian Police's investigating officer, and was forbidden to apply for other travel documents whilst out on bail.
Barman was further ordered not to interfere with police investigations by way of contacting State witnesses, or anyone else who is involved in the case.
He was also instructed not to leave the district of Windhoek without having obtained permission from the investigating officer.
Public Prosecutor Hinda earlier in May unsuccessfully opposed the granting of bail to Barman, citing the seriousness and complexity of the murder charge the accused is facing.
After the alleged killing, Barman attempted to flee the scene, but fractured a leg when he jumped from the roof of a neighbour's house, allegedly in a failed attempt to commit suicide.
He was arrested at around 17h00 on the day of the alleged crime.