One-year-old boy dies in shack fire

24 Jul 2013 08:00
WINDHOEK, 24 JUL (NAMPA) - A Windhoek family is battling to come to terms with the death of their one-year-old baby boy, who died when the shack they lived in was gutted by fire on Sunday.
His four-year-old sister has been admitted to the Windhoek Central Hospital’s Intensive Care Unit with serious burn injuries.
The children lived in the Hakahana informal settlement with their mother, grandmother and the grandmother’s two other children.
The children’s grandmother, Drucilla Kandorozu told Nampa on Wednesday she had gone out and left the boy and his four-year-old sister in the care of her 17-year-old daughter.
“They were left alone in the shack by their aunt, who quickly went out, when the fire broke out. I really do not know what exactly happened, whether it was maybe the candle which was left on,” an emotional Kandorozu said.
The incident occurred between 19h00 and 20h00.
The fire spread very fast, and matters were made worse by the fact that a gas cylinder which the family used for cooking, also exploded during the fire.
Kandorozu noted that neighbours tried to extinguish the fire and managed to rescue the four-year-old girl before members of the fire brigade arrived at the scene.
She added that the family’s documents and belongings were also destroyed in the fire.
(NAMPA)
ER/AS/ND