No mass houses handed over in Windhoek

17 May 2015 12:20pm
WINDHOEK, 17 MAY (NAMPA) - No house has yet been handed over to any mass housing beneficiary in the capital.
Windhoek Mayor Muesee Kazapua revealed this on Saturday when he officially launched the first round of the city's public meetings.
The launch took place in the Hakahana residential area.
Kazapua called on the developers of the mass housing project in Windhoek to fast track the construction of houses and hand over the keys to the rightful owners.
“The city committed up to 90 per cent of available development land to the mass housing project but so far, no single house has been completed,” he said.
The mayor noted that the city submitted its list of available land in low-cost areas as per a ministerial directive.
The identified land is in Otjomuise Extension 10; Freedom Land A and B; Greenwell Matongo D; Onjika; Otjomuise Infill project; Havanna Extension 1; Mix settlement; Goreangab Extension 4 and Otjomuise Extension 12 and 13.
He said apart from Otjomuise Extension 10 that was serviced with Targeted Intervention Programme for Employment and Economic Growth (TIPEEG) funds, the rest of the areas are not serviced to date, as these were integrated into the mass housing project.
Kazapua informed the public that although not legally transferred yet, that land was committed to the Ministry of Urban and Rural Development’s mass-housing programme.
“We are hopeful that the government will urgently attend to the current challenges being experienced with the implementation of the well-intended national mass housing programme,” he said.
One of the challenges that Kazapua singled out is local authorities not being involved in the process of constructing houses for the mass housing programme – they only commit land.
President Hifikepunye Pohamba launched N.dollars 45 billion mass housing programme in November 2013 to ease the housing backlog in the country, targeting low-income earners such as residents of informal settlements.
(NAMPA)
MMT/ND/LI