23 Jul 2013 07:30
OMUNGHOLYO, 23 JUL (NAMPA) The top 12 finalists of the 2013 Miss Namibia beauty pageant, led by Miss Namibia 2012 Tsakana Nkandih, painted a three-classroom block at the Omungholyo Combined School (CS) on Saturday.
The block of classrooms was donated to the school last year by President Hifikepunye Pohamba, who attended the school in 1942 and 1943.
Two of the classrooms are named after Pohambas former teachers - Monica Nashikwele Hangula and Mateus Penondadi Nghipetekwa.
Namibian-owned Neo Paints sponsored the 2013 Miss Namibia finalists and provided the materials used to paint the block.
We have been involved in supporting the Miss Namibia beauty pageant for the past seven years and the girls who participated in the pageant last year travelled to the Kavango Region where they painted classrooms under our sponsorship, said George van Schalkwyk, Neo Paints Sales and Marketing Manager
Van Schalkwyk, who joined the finalists at Omungholyo, indicated that his company will also sponsor more painting material to be used in the painting of all other buildings at the school once the buildings are renovated.
The aim is to allow the Miss Namibia finalists an opportunity to be involved in charity work in communities, Nkandih told Nampa in an interview during the painting session at the Omungholyo CS.
This year's Miss Namibia pageant takes place on 03 August.
Omungholyo is a rural school situated in the Ohangwena Regions Ondobe Constituency, not far from the Namibia-Angola border.
The schools principal, Johannes Nghiwilwa noted that Omungholyo CS was established in 1940 as a missionary school, with learners taught mostly biblical studies under a tree, before it was handed over to the government in 1967.
The school currently has 767 learners from pre-primary up to Grade 10, with 23 teachers, three heads of departments and two cleaners.