Cholera threats minimised: Shapumba
23 Jul 2013 02:50
OPUWO, 23 JUL (NAMPA) The Director of Health for the Kunene Region, Thomas Shapumba says the cholera situation in the region is now stable, but called on residents to maintain a high level of hygienic practices.
Speaking to Nampa in a telephonic interview on Tuesday, Shapumba said only one case of the two people who were initially hospitalised for suspected cholera returned positive on Friday.
According to him, the 25-year-old man was confirmed to have contracted cholera, bringing the total number of cholera cases to two.
Both patients have already been successfully treated at the Opuwo State Hospital, and they have been discharged on Monday, he noted.
Shapumba said four samples of suspected cholera cases had been sent for tests, and only two returned positive.
These four samples are from four Angolan nationals.
We have not received any new cases of cholera, he added.
Officials from the Department of Epidemiology in the Ministry of Health and Social Services and a representative of the World Health Organisation visited the Otjimuhaka village on Tuesday, where all four Angolans had crossed into Namibia.
There, the group gave basic hygiene lessons to the community to ensure that they protect themselves from becoming infected.
The team returned to Windhoek last Friday.